Sunday 5 January 2014

The Last Morning

After a few days of cooler and wetter weather it's probably fitting that we awoke on the last day to the clearest of blue skies and warm, bright sunshine.

It would be far too easy welcome melancholy into the day but it's time to go home. No it really is - I've just about got enough undies and clean socks for the trip home! Plus home is.... well home innit! It's where our friends and family are, waiting to greet us with open arms whilst we bore them silly with tales of our travels. Oh, and if you are one if then and reading this, be warned - we have over 1,000 photos!

So in a few hours we'll arrive at the airport, wander around aimlessly killing time before stepping onto the plane that is going to transport us the 18,000km home. Plenty of time the to reflect on what's been a fantastic holiday. The trip of a lifetime? You bet!

I sign off with two things.

The first is today's photo. It's of a Mackenzie Thorpe sculpture called 'Falling In Love'. Another Boro boy done good , like Captain Cook before him, has left his mark on a little bit of New Zealand. And do you know, during my time here I have fallen just a little bit in love with in this great and diverse country.

The second was a quote that I read whilst in a gallery in Wellington. It read "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened". Quite apt and I'll try to keep that in mind when a cold north easterly is battering our house. What's even more surprising is that it's from Dr Seuss. I know. The Cat In The Hat fella. Who'd have thought it.

Right that's me - I'm off to spend a few hours in the sunshine. I need to store enough up to get me through to April.....




No comments:

Post a Comment